3 Ways on How to Play DVD on Wii
There are always some Nintendo Wii users in the forums or Yahoo Answers asking about "Can the Wii Play DVDs". Here are some examples starting the topic on how to play DVD on Wii:
"can a wii play dvds? - i know the wii is the best like gaming system ever (ect.) but my main concern is that it might not be able to play dvds. so if anyone knows the answer please reply as soon as possible."
"Does the wii play DVDs? ? - How can I play DVDs on wii?"
"Can you play dvds on the wii? - i tried it on mine and it said disc read error."
Actually, the disc reader of the Wii does not play DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, or Compact Discs. Though in 2006 the Q&A section of Nintendo's Japanese Wii website revealed that Japanese consumers would ever get the chance to buy the new model of Wii with DVD-Video playback compatibility in late 2007 and in late 2007 Nintendo claimed that it would postpone the release of its next-generation video game console Wii to get Wii play DVD due to a need to secure enough production units in time for the Christmas rush, there is still no native DVD playback support till the latest Wii.
Nintendo's initial announcement stated that it "requires more than a firmware upgrade" to implement DVD playback and that the functionality could not be made available as an upgrade option for the existing Wii model. Despite this assertion, there are still 3 ways found by third parties to play DVDs on the Wii:
Method A: Install a modchip
Several brands of modchips are available for the Wii. Wii users have to open up their Wii and solder in an expensive modchip and installing a mod chip such as Wii Key is extremely risky and will void the warranty.
Method B: Softmod Wii & use a homebrew media app
By hacking to unlock the Wii, and adding Wii Homebrew app, users can add DVD playback to the original unmodified Wii units. However, using Wii as a DVD player may yield some undesirable results: frame rate drops, sluggish controls, audio & video getting out of sync, ect.). Homebrew media players on the Wii work better with digital video files that are not higher than 720p resolution and can do streaming media with a LAN-based resources (like a computer storing the files), but streaming media over a network does require some work to set-up. While softmodding the Wii is a violation of Nintendo's Acceptable Usage Policy (which is why it voids warranty), it falls under similar "jailbreaking" laws with iPods, iPhones & iPads. It could be used for illegal means, but it requires more involvement of the user than just installing the Homebrew Channel.
Method C: Rip DVD to Wii video
Rip DVD to Wii video on PC or Mac using a DVD ripper for Wii (for Windows) or Mac DVD ripper for Wii, transfer the output Wii video to Wii SD card, play it with Photo Channel on Wii. This is the best method to play DVDs on Wii, since it will neither make changes to the software nor hardware of the Wii. Follow the easy steps below to learn how this works:
- 1. Download, install and launch the DVD to Wii Converter.
- 2. Load DVD disc or DVD files (DVD folder, ISO image file or IFO files).
- 3. Set the output as Wii video.
- 4. Start to convert DVD to Wii video.
- 5. Transfer the Wii video to Wii SD card and play the video with Photo Channel.
1. Wii supported video formats (compatible with the Photo Channel): Quicktime (motion JPEG) format (MOV) and AVI (Motion JPEG) format (AVI). Since this DVD to Wii ripper is built in with the preset output video profile for Wii, users can easily select the profile and convert DVD to Motion JPEG .AVI video compatible with Wii easily.
2. This DVD to Wii ripper supports to rip DVDs rent or bought with DVD copy protections like region code, RCE, CSS, UOP, CSS & Sony ARccOS, etc.
With any of the 3 methods, Wii users can easily play DVD on Wii. Personally, I think the best answer to the question "Can the Wii Play DVDs" is Method C.
Ready to download this DVD to Wii ripper?
You may also like:
- How to rip & convert DVD to Nexus 7
- How to put DVD on Galaxy Note 10.1 FREE
- How to rip & convert DVD to Galaxy Note 2
- How to convert videos to Nexus 7
- How to put DVD on Sony Xperia Tablet S
- How to watch DVD on Kindle Fire HD
- Video/DVD/Blu-ray Software
- PDF Tools
- Portable Solutions
- PC Utilities
- Video/DVD/Blu-ray Apps for Mac
- Mac Utilities
- How tos
- Recover Deleted Text Messages
- Retrieve Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
- Recover Deleted Photos from iPhone
- Recover iPhone Contacts
- Recover Deleted iMessages
- Recover Deleted Facebook Messages
- Restore iPhone without iTunes
- Fix iPad & iPhone Stuck on Apple Logo
- iPhone Recovery Mode
- Galaxy S3 Recovery
- Nexus 7 Recovery
- DVD to Blackberry Z10
- DVD to Nexus 7
- DVD to Nexus 10
- Video to Nexus 7
- DVD to Kindle Fire HD
- DVD to Surface
- Transfer Videos to iPhone 5
- DVD to iPhone 5
- DVD to Lumia 920 & 820
- DVD to iPad 4
- Play AVI on iPad 4
- DVD to Galaxy Note 10.1
- DVD to Galaxy Note 2
- DVD to Galaxy S3 Mini
- DVD to Sony Xperia Tablet S
- Play DVD on Wii
- DVD to DivX
- Free Resources